The Lone Troubadour

The tall tales of a lone troubadour who wanders throughout the lands, collecting and writing stories and poetry, slaying dragons and capturing daemons.

Name:
Location: Ontario, Canada

As a popculturist-turned-journalist I bring you the news Thompson-style. When I'm not dicking around exploring news-worthy information (Hell, everything is news-worthy) I'm usually resting in peace trying to avoid the world (Imagine that, a journalist who hates the world).

Friday, June 30, 2006

Snowfall

Meanwhile...

The glittering of light caresses the edges of the crimson sphere, defining its shape against the empty void. Jen floats in closer, inspecting the hovering orb. Looking in closer, she notices a faint light billowing out through shifting layers within the node, revealing and cloaking pathways within the construct. Reaching towards the object, Jen grins, and grabs it with both hands, a flare of light erupting from the ball.

"You will not break through, Jennifer."

"Like hell I won't."

The light grows, and the orb expands to encompass Jen, forming the boundaries of a non-existant universe. A gigantic, constantly evolving maze forms itself within the surface, creating the eternally-changing pathways of the ICE. Grinning, Jen generates her representational-hacking tools: in this case, a laser drill and mock-GPS scanner. Priming the laser-generator, she blasts it into the nearest wall, piercing the faux-wall of the maze, and opening up a new pathway.

"This could damage both you and me, Jennifer."

"You want to give up?"

"I will never give up, I am just concerned for your safety."

"Screw it, I'll bail if I have to, not before."

Cleaving her way through the maze, she follows the pathways with the code-scanner, following the trail towards the core of the operating system. Suddenly, the maze shifts, and razor-blades spring from the walls. Twisting around, she blasts a hole through the nearest wall, and dives through. The hole seals up behind her, and the screech of metal-against-metal reverberates through the wall.

"Close, but no cigar."

"You are getting closer, Jennifer. Cease and desist, else I may have to take even more drastic measures."

On her guard, Jen continues to follow her scanner, when it suddenly fizzes out and sputters. "Your security measures have been screwing with my scanner, Daemon."

"It had to happen sometime, Jennifer. I cannot have you, or anyone else for that matter, prowling around in my source-code. It is a security-hole."

"Sure, like I care. I'm still getting through. You need this upgrade."

"Then continue. Remember, I am programmed to handle the update myself."

"I would rather do it myself, thank you very much."

"As you wish."

Supporting her laser-drill on her hips, Jen turns it towards the floor, and pulls the trigger, burrowing through the dense code defining the security system boundaries. The beam breaks through, and a golden light shines through, the virtual-dust reflecting the light, revealing gorgeous beams in the render.

"I'm through. You're too slow."

"So it would seem. Update me while I review what occured. It would seem I need to optimize my security-algorithms, not to mention implement new ones to fill the holes the defence-matrix maintains."

//CALL INCOMING: PERSONAL OVERRIDE - SAMANTHA ALEXANDROS.//

"Put her through. Daemon, you should listen in on this."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home